Happy Birthday, William Strunk, born 1 July 1869, died 26 September 1946
- Instead of announcing what you are about to tell is interesting, make it so.
- Remember, it is no sign of weakness or defeat that your manuscript ends up in need of major surgery. This is a common occurrence in all writing, and among the best writers.
- Vigorous writing is concise.
- A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.
- Rich, ornate prose is hard to digest, generally unwholesome, and sometimes nauseating.
Strunk was the author of the The Elements of Style. E.B. White, his former student, revised and enlarged the book and it became a highly influential guide to English usage.
~~~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Send an email to email@example.com for more information.
Writers Write - Write to communicate