- Revolution begins with the self, in the self.
- All writers, musicians, artists, choreographers/dancers, etc., work with the stuff of their experiences. It's the translation of it, the conversion of it, the shaping of it that makes for the drama.
- Writing is one of the ways I participate in transformation.
- Write a lot and hit the streets. A writer who doesn't keep up with what's out there ain't gonna be out there.
- The purpose of a writer is to make revolution irresistible.
- Words are to be taken seriously. I try to take seriously acts of language. Words set things in motion. I've seen them doing it. Words set up atmospheres, electrical fields, charges.
- The dream is real, my friends. The failure to make it work is the unreality.
- I've never been convinced that experience is linear, circular, or even random. It just is. I try to put it in some kind of order to extract meaning from it, to bring meaning to it.
- Take heart to flat out decide to be well and stride into the future sane and whole.
Bambara was an African-American author, documentary film-maker, social activist and college professor.
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.