Tennessee Williams was born 26 March 1911, and died 25 February 1983
The Top 10 Tennessee Williams Quotes On Writing
- At the age of fourteen I discovered writing as an escape from a world of reality in which I felt acutely uncomfortable.
- I’m a poet. And then I put the poetry in the drama. I put it in short stories, and I put it in the plays. Poetry’s poetry. It doesn’t have to be called a poem, you know.
- When I write I don’t aim to shock people, and I’m surprised when I do. But I don’t think that anything that occurs in life should be omitted from art, though the artist should present it in a fashion that is artistic and not ugly. I set out to tell the truth. And sometimes the truth is shocking.
- If I got rid of my demons, I’d lose my angels.
- The theatre is a place where one has time for the problems of people to whom one would show the door if they came to one’s office for a job.
- I don’t have an audience in mind when I write. I’m writing mainly for myself. After a long devotion to playwriting I have a good inner ear. I know pretty well how a thing is going to sound on the stage, and how it will play. I write to satisfy this inner ear and its perceptions. That’s the audience I write for.
- What shouldn’t you do if you’re a young playwright? Don’t bore the audience!
- I believe the way to write a good play is to convince yourself it is easy to do—then go ahead and do it with ease. Don’t maul, don’t suffer, don’t groan till the first draft is finished.
- We are all sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life.
- The strongest influences in my life and my work are always whomever I love. Whomever I love and am with most of the time, or whomever I remember most vividly. I think that’s true of everyone, don’t you?
Williams was an American playwright who also wrote short stories, novels, poetry, essays, screenplays and a volume of memoirs. His plays are regarded as classics of the American stage and include A Streetcar Named Desire and The Glass Menagerie. Williams adapted much of his best known work for the cinema.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.