Happy Birthday, Simon Winchester, born 28 September 1944
Five Simon Winchester Quotes On Writing
- The best spur for me is a commission and a deadline.
- Any grand new dictionary ought itself to be a democratic product, a book that demonstrated the primacy of individual freedoms, of the notion that one could use words freely, as one liked, without hard and fast rules of lexical conduct.
- As a writer, you are going to confronted with a bewildering world of fascinations—so never become jaded or world-weary, and always think of your calling as a privilege. You’ll never get rich: but you’ll have a fulfilled and valuable life, doing something that is eminently worthwhile.
- This may sound silly, but I attach a little counter to the corner of my computer so I know I have to produce, say, 100,000 words by December. If I’m ahead one day, I take a break; if I’m behind, I keep working.
- The best way of telling a story is telling it out loud.
Winchester is a British-American author and journalist who lives mostly in the United States. Through his career at The Guardian, Winchester covered numerous significant events including Bloody Sunday and the Watergate Scandal.
Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate