Sarah Orne Jewett was born 3 September 1849, and died 24 June 1909
- Find your quiet centre of life and write from that to the world.
- It was mortifying to find how strong the habit of idle speech may become in one’s self. One need not always be saying something in this noisy world.
- Tact is after all a kind of mind-reading.
- It seems to me like stealing, for men and women to live in the world and do nothing to make it better.
- The thing that teases the mind over and over for years, and at last gets itself put down rightly on paper - whether little or great, it belongs to Literature.
- The secret to happiness in this world is not only to be useful, but to be forever elevating one's uses.
Sarah Orne Jewett was an American novelist, short story writer and poet.
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa.Writers Write - Write to communicate