Søren Kierkegaard was born 5 May 1813, and died 11 November 1855
12 Philosophical Quotes
- The most common form of despair is not being who you are.
- People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
- What is a poet? An unhappy person who conceals profound anguish in his heart but whose lips are so formed that as sighs and cries pass over them they sound like beautiful music.
- There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
- I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations — one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it — you will regret both.
- Listen to the cry of a woman in labour at the hour of giving birth — look at the dying man’s struggle at his last extremity, and then tell me whether something that begins and ends thus could be intended for enjoyment.
- Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner; put yourself in his place so that you may understand- what he learns and the way he understands it
- My standpoint is armed neutrality.
- Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that’s just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it’s a joke.
- The truth is a trap: you cannot get it without it getting you; you cannot get the truth by capturing it, only by its capturing you.
- Boredom is the root of all evil - the despairing refusal to be oneself.
Kierkegaard was a Danish philosopher, theologian, poet, social critic, and religious author. He wrote critical texts on organized religion, Christendom, morality, ethics, psychology and philosophy of religion, displaying a fondness for metaphor, irony and parables. He is widely considered to be the first existentialist philosopher.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.