Happy Birthday, Richard Ford, born 16 February 1944
Nine Richard Ford Quotes
- Writing is the only thing I’ve ever done with persistence, except for being married.
- Today I think of characters—actual and literary characters— as being rather unfixed. I think of them as changeable, provisional, unpredictable, decidedly unwhole.
- It is no loss to mankind when one writer decides to call it a day. When a tree falls in the forest, who cares but the monkeys?
- I wouldn’t be a writer just for myself. If I were going to do something for myself, I’d do something else, something more practical and pleasurable, and probably easier.
- Find what causes a commotion in your heart. Find a way to write about that.
- I want to write about dramatic, important things that engage my sympathies. That’s been the most certifying thing in my life—that I’ve gone toward where my sympathies led me rather than toward where social pressures or convention might’ve led. That’s good luck for a novelist.
- You can’t write … on the strength of influence. You can only write a good story or a good novel by yourself.
- I’m always interested in words, and no matter what I’m doing—describing a character or a landscape or writing a line of dialogue—I’m moved, though not utterly commanded by an interest in the sound and rhythm of the words, in addition, I ought to say, to what the words actually denote. Most writers are probably like that, don’t you think?
- If loneliness is the disease, the story is the cure.
10 Tips For Writers
- Marry somebody you love and who thinks you being a writer’s a good idea.
- Don’t have children.
- Don’t read your reviews.
- Don’t write reviews. (Your judgement’s always tainted.)
- Don’t have arguments with your wife in the morning, or late at night.
- Don’t drink and write at the same time.
- Don’t write letters to the editor. (No one cares.)
- Don’t wish ill on your colleagues.
- Try to think of others’ good luck as encouragement to yourself.
- Don’t take any shit if you can possibly help it.
Ford is an American novelist and short story writer. He has written seven novels, and three short story collections. His best-known works are the novel The Sportswriter and its sequels, Independence Day and The Lay of the Land.
Source for Image
Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate