Happy Birthday, Peter S. Beagle, born 20 April 1939
- You learn that you don’t sit still, you make something up, you tell a story - you have something out there to sell. You have to write a whole lot even if most of it never sells…you also better love what you’re doing because that’s going to be your major reward
- Great heroes need great sorrows and burdens, or half their greatness goes unnoticed.
- There are people who give, and there are people who take. There are people who create, people who destroy, and people who don’t do anything and drive the other two kinds crazy.
- Sitting up all night would be pointless if somebody you loved wasn’t sitting up with you, picking out music to play and helping you kill the bourbon. Walking by yourself in the rain is for college kids who think loneliness makes poets.
- We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.
- We are our own dragons and our own heroes. We must rescue ourselves from ourselves.
- I got terrible grades in everything but history and English. I entered a Scholastic Magazine poetry writing contest and won…and I didn’t know that a scholarship to the University of Pittsburgh came with first prize. It took me two minutes to decide I was going to Pittsburgh and it was the best thing that could have happened to me.
- Writing is really all abut showing up for work and staying there when no words are coming.
- I never could do anything else but what I’m doing. People congratulate me on my courage when really I had no choice. I love to tell stories.
Source for quotes on writing
Beagle is an American author of novels, non-fiction, and screenplays, especially fantasy fiction. His best-known work is The Last Unicorn.
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.