P.L. Travers was born 9 August 1899, and died 23 April 1996
- A writer is, after all, only half his book. The other half is the reader and from the reader the writer learns.
- Tears ran down my cheek because it was all so distorted… . I was so shocked that I felt I would never write–let alone smile–again!
- In a way I’m never not doing it. When I’m going to buy, let us say, a tube of toothpaste, I have it in me. The story or lecture or article is moving. And I make a point of writing, if only a little, every day, as a kind of discipline so that it is not a whim but a piece of work.
- You can ask me anything you like about my work, but I’ll never talk about myself.
- A great friend of mine at the beginning of our friendship (he was himself a poet) said to me very defiantly, “I have to tell you that I loathe children’s books.” And I said to him, “Well, won’t you just read this just for my sake?” And he said grumpily, “Oh, very well, send it to me.” I did, and I got a letter back saying: “Why didn’t you tell me? Mary Poppins with her cool green core of sex has me enthralled forever."
- You do not chop off a section of your imaginative substance and make a book specifically for children, for — if you are honest — you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins. It is all endless and all one.
- Once we have accepted the story we cannot escape the story’s fate.
- Could it be … that the hero is one who is willing to set out, take the first step, shoulder something? Perhaps the hero is one who puts his foot upon a path not knowing what he may expect from life but in some way feeling in his bones that life expects something of him.
- For me there are no answers, only questions, and I am grateful that the questions go on and on. I don’t look for an answer, because I don’t think there is one. I’m very glad to be the bearer of a question.
Travers, born Helen Lyndon Goff, was an Australian-British novelist, actress and journalist. She is best known for her series of children’s novels about the magical English nanny Mary Poppins.
Source for Image
~~~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate