Nicolas Chamfort was born 6 April 1741, and died 13 April 1794
10 Chamfort Quotes
- Contemplation often makes life miserable. We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live.
- There are well-dressed foolish ideas just as there are well-dressed fools.
- There are certain times when public opinion is the worst of all opinions.
- Happiness is not easy to find. It’s very difficult to find it in yourself — and impossible to find anywhere else.
- In order not to find life unbearable, you must accept two things: the ravages of time and the injustices of man.
- Every day I add to the list of things I refuse to discuss. The wiser the man, the longer the list.
- Most books today seemed to have been written overnight from books read the day before.
- Anyone whose needs are small seems threatening to the rich, because he’s always ready to escape their control.
- There are more people who wish to be loved than there are who are willing to love.
- He who leaves the game wins it.
Chamfort was born Sébastien-Roch Nicolas. He was a French writer known for his witty epigrams and aphorisms. He was secretary to Louis XVI’s sister, and of the Jacobin club.
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.