- If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
- A book, being a physical object, engenders a certain respect that zipping electrons cannot. Because you cannot turn a book off, because you have to hold it in your hands, because a book sits there, waiting for you, whether you think you want it or not, because of all these things, a book is a friend. It’s not just the content, but the physical being of a book that is there for you always and unconditionally.
- The difference between children and adults is that they're shorter - not dumber.
- An artist is waiting for the audience to understand the work. A craftsman is working to understand the audience.
- All of the life-changing awesome words and pictures and ideas inside your library are useless without just one word outside your library: Open.
- Writing for children is as easy as describing the history of the Byzantium in three words.
- My favourite book is my next one. I’m always hoping to make my next book my best one.
Willems is an American writer, animator, and creator of children's books. He has won a Caldecott Honor and the Theodore Geisel Medal and Honors. His books include Knuffle Bunny, Don’t Let the Pigeon Ride the Bus, and the Elephant and Piggy Series.
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate