Happy Birthday, Mitch Albom, born 23 May 1958
12 Mitch Albom Quotes
- In a newspaper, you only have so much room. It teaches you the value of getting to the point, of not pampering yourself with your glorious writing. I’ve always been much more interested in one powerful sentence that stays with you. That’s my style.
- I believe the biggest themes of life are put into the best focus when held up against the very sharp light of mortality.
- The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.
- You have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it.
- Anyone who tries to write a memoir needs to keep in mind that what’s interesting to you isn’t necessarily interesting to a reader.
- Critics have a problem with sentimentality. Readers do not. I write for readers.
- A memoir should have some uplifting quality, inspiring or illuminating, and that’s what separates a life story that can influence other people.
- For years I wrote in my basement. More recently I graduated to one floor above, an office with all my books and music and - ta da! - a window.
- Most people just want to read a book. If you have a good story, people want to turn the pages whether it’s a memoir or a novel.
- I’ve always said I have one skill. That skill - if I have it at all - is storytelling.
- I find interesting characters or lessons that resonate with people and sometimes I write about them in the sports pages, sometimes I write them in a column, sometimes in a novel, sometimes a play or sometimes in nonfiction. But at the core I always say to myself, ‘Is there a story here? Is this something people want to read?’
- Writing a novel for the first time was the biggest challenge. Until The Five People You Meet in Heaven, I had always dealt with the truth and the facts.
Albom is an American best-selling author, journalist, screenwriter, dramatist, and radio and television broadcaster. His books have sold over 30 million copies worldwide. He is best known for Tuesdays With Morrie
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.