- Without the local library in my neighbourhood, I don’t think I would have grown up to be a writer or a teacher.
- I’m a creator, a visionary, a poet. I approach the world with the eyes of an artist, the ears of a musician, and the soul of a writer. I see rainbows where others see only rain, and possibilities when others see only problems.
- Thoughts need words. Words need a voice.
- A good book ought to bring out lots of different responses from those that read it - none of them pre-planned, and all of them very personal. Whatever they take away from the reading of the book is valuable.
- Teachers must be celebrated for moving civilisation from ignorance to enlightenment, from apathy to responsibility.
- I love to write; words flow easily from my fingertips, and my heart beats rapidly with excitement as an idea becomes a reality on the paper in front of me. I smile often, laugh easily, and I weep at pain and cruelty. I'm a learner and a seeker of knowledge, and I try to take my readers along on my journey. I am passionate about what I do.
- I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer. Come dream with me.
- Words have always swirled around me like snowflakes-each one delicate and different, each one melting untouched in my hands.
- It’s like I’ve always had a painted musical sound track playing background to my life. I can almost hear colours and smell images when music is played.
Draper is an American children's writer. She has won the Coretta Scott King Award for books about the African-American experience six times. Her books include Copper Sun, Double Dutch, and Out of My Mind.
Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.