Happy Birthday, Julia Cameron, born 4 March 1948
Seven Quotes On Writing
- We should write because it is human nature to write. Writing claims our world. It makes it directly and specifically our own. We should write because humans are spiritual beings and writing is a powerful form of prayer and meditation, connecting us both to our own insights and to a higher and deeper level of inner guidance.
- We should write because writing brings clarity and passion to the act of living. Writing is sensual, experiential, grounding. We should write because writing is good for the soul. We should write because writing yields us a body of work, a felt path through the world we live in.
- We should write, above all, because we are writers, whether we call ourselves that or not.
- Writing is like breathing, it’s possible to learn to do it well, but the point is to do it no matter what.
- Just as a good rain clears the air, a good writing day clears the psyche.
- Being in the mood to write, like being in the mood to make love, is a luxury that isn’t necessary in a long-term relationship. Just as the first caress can lead to a change of heart, the first sentence, however tentative and awkward, can lead to a desire to go just a little further.
- Doing it all the time, whether or not we are in the mood, gives us ownership of our writing ability. It takes it out of the realm of conjuring where we stand on the rock of isolation, begging the winds for inspiration, and it makes it something as do-able as picking up a hammer and pounding a nail. Writing may be an art, but it is certainly a craft. It is a simple and workable thing that can be as steady and reliable as a chore—does that ruin the romance?
Cameron is an American teacher, author, artist, and poet. She is most famous for her books The Artist’s Way and The Right to Write.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.