Happy Birthday, Jon Ronson, born 10 May 1967
10 Non-Fiction Quotes
- Discover the time of day when you write best, and write then. For me it’s about 7 am to noon. For other people it’s overnight. Try not to do anything other than write between those times.
- Nothing uniquely bad has happened to me in my personal life, but all the regular little bad things have accumulated to make me a neurotic person. And these adventures are my way of trying to make sense of that.
- Obviously, I like to write stories that are page-turners. But I always try my very, very hardest to be as factually true as possible.
- Trying to solve the mystery is what I enjoy most about writing.
- We have to understand how the extremists got the way they are. Without that kind of understanding, we’d never really get to know them. I put in nothing about their childhoods. But what I have put in is stuff about the weird symbiotic relationship between us and them.
- [Journalists take] the outermost aspects of our interviewee’s personality, and we stitch them together like medieval monks. We leave the normal stuff on the floor.
- Capitalism, at its most remorseless, is a physical manifestation of psychopathy.
- I wondered if sometimes the difference between a psychopath in Broadmoor and a psychopath on Wall Street was the luck of being born into a stable, rich family.
- I crave routine and comfort massively. I’m not an adrenaline junkie at all. I only go and do these things because I have to so that I can write about them.
- We journalists love writing about eccentrics. We hate writing about impenetrable, boring people. It makes us look bad: the duller the interviewee, the duller the prose. If you want to get away with wielding true, malevolent power, be boring.
Ronson is a Welsh journalist, documentary filmmaker, radio presenter and non-fiction author, whose works include So You've Been Publicly Shamed The Men Who Stare at Goats, The Psychopath Test, and Lost At Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries. He writes forThe Guardian newspaper, City Life and Time Out magazine. He also makes documentary films and series for television.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.