Happy Birthday, Jane Hirshfield, born 24 February 1953
- Solitude, whether endured or embraced, is a necessary gateway to original thought.
- Poems want to awaken intimacy, connection, expansion, and wildness.
- Zen pretty much comes down to three things — everything changes; everything is connected; pay attention.
- How fragile we are, between the few good moments.
- History, mythology, and folktales are filled with stories of people punished for saying the truth. Only the Fool, exempt from society’s rules, is allowed to speak with complete freedom.
- The creative is always an act of recombination, with something added by new juxtaposition—as making a spark requires two things struck together.
- Poetry’s work is the clarification and magnification of being.
Hirshfield is an American poet, essayist, and translator.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.