George Orwell was born 25 June 1903, and died 21 January 1950
12 Owellian Quotes
- For a creative writer possession of the ‘truth’ is less important than emotional sincerity.
- In our time political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible.
- Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
- Political language — and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists — is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
- Language ought to be the joint creation of poets and manual workers.
- The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one’s real and one’s declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink.
- The atmosphere of orthodoxy is always damaging to prose, and above all it is completely ruinous to the novel, the most anarchical of all forms of literature.
- Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill-bucket.
- As with the Christian religion, the worst advertisement for Socialism is its adherents.
- Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.
- During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
- The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
George Orwell - His Six Rules For Writing
Orwell was an English novelist and journalist. He is best known for the dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four and the allegorical novella Animal Farm, which together have sold more copies than any two books by any other 20th-century author. Orwell’s work continues to influence popular and political culture. The term Orwellian is used in English, together with other phrases coined by the author, including Cold War, Big Brother, thought police, doublethink, and thoughtcrime.
by Amanda Patterson. Follow her on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
offers the best writing courses
in South Africa. Writers Write
- Write to communicate.