Happy Birthday, Gayl Jones, born 23 November 1949
- When you tell a story you automatically talk about traditions, but they’re never separate from the people, the human implications. You’re talking about your connections as a human being.
- I don’t think there are many of us who are true to our possibilities.
- I learned to write by listening to people talk. I still feel that the best of my writing comes from having heard rather than having read.
- I was and continue to be interested in contradictory emotions that coexist … I think people can hold two different emotions simultaneously.
- I believe that all literatures can have political uses and misuses. Sometimes politics can enhance, sometimes it can get in the way of imaginative literature… . I’m not sure one can be a creative writer and a politician — not a good politician.
Jones is an African-American writer. Her works include The Healing,Corregidora, and Eva’s Man.
Source for image.
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate