Edgar Allan Poe was born 19 January 1809, and died 7 October 1849
Edgar Allan Poe: 15 Quotes
- I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
- We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation - to make a point - than to further the cause of truth.
- Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
- The death of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world.
- I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.
- If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered.
- Poetry is the rhythmical creation of beauty in words.
- Of puns it has been said that those who most dislike them are those who are least able to utter them.
- With me poetry has not been a purpose, but a passion.
- All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.
- The most natural, and, consequently, the truest and most intense of the human affections are those which arise in the heart as if by electric sympathy.
- To observe attentively is to remember distinctly.
- The true genius shudders at incompleteness -- imperfection -- and usually prefers silence to saying the something which is not everything that should be said.
- In reading some books we occupy ourselves chiefly with the thoughts of the author; in perusing others, exclusively with our own.
- How many good books suffer neglect through the inefficiency of their beginnings!
Poe was an American author, poet, editor and literary critic. He is famous for writing about the macabre. Poe was one of the first American short story writers and is known as the inventor of the detective fiction genre, and for contributing to the emerging genre of science fiction. He was the first well-known American writer to try to earn a living through writing alone.
~~~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate
Source for Image: Hark a vagrant
Read more about Edgar Allan Poe, born 19 January 1809, died 7 October 1849
Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. If you want to learn how to write a book, write for social media, and improve your business writing, send an email to email@example.com for more information.
Writers Write - Write to communicate