David Foster Wallace was born 21 February 1962, and died 12 September 2008
12 David Foster Wallace Quotes
- I do things like get in a taxi and say, “The library, and step on it.'
- The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.
- I often think I can see it in myself and in other young writers, this desperate desire to please coupled with a kind of hostility to the reader.
- Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still.
- We’re all lonely for something we don’t know we’re lonely for. How else to explain the curious feeling that goes around feeling like missing somebody we’ve never even met?
- I had kind of a midlife crisis at twenty which probably doesn’t augur well for my longevity.
- The thing about people who are truly and malignantly crazy: their real genius is for making the people around them think they themselves are crazy. In military science this is called Psy-Ops, for your info
- Fiction is one of the few experiences where loneliness can be both confronted and relieved. Drugs, movies where stuff blows up, loud parties — all these chase away loneliness by making me forget my name’s Dave and I live in a one-by-one box of bone no other party can penetrate or know. Fiction, poetry, music, really deep serious sex, and, in various ways, religion — these are the places (for me) where loneliness is countenanced, stared down, transfigured, treated.
- Fiction’s about what it is to be a fucking human being.
- Whatever you get paid attention for is never what you think is most important about yourself.
- I just think that fiction that isn’t exploring what it means to be human today isn’t art.
- I had a teacher I liked who used to say good fiction’s job was to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
Wallace was an award-winning American novelist, and short story writer. He is best known as the author Infinite Jest which was named one of the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to 2005 by Time magazine.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.