Happy Birthday, Damon Galgut, born 12 November 1963
- Memory is fiction … All memory is a way of reconstructing the past… The act of narrating a memory is the act of creating fiction.
- Literature at its fullest takes human nature as its theme. That’s the kind of writing that interests me
- The truth is, one has to be one’s own sharpest critic - by the time the writing is done, I usually know what the weaknesses and strengths are, and I know that I couldn’t have done it better, even though I might wish to.
- Poetry was syllable and rhythm. Poetry was the measurement of breath. Poetry was time make audible. Poetry evoked the present moment; poetry was the antidote to history. Poetry was language free from habit.
- Persist, persist, persist.
Galgut is an award-winning South African playwright and novelist. He is best known for The Good Doctor and In a Strange Room. Both books were nominated for the Man Booker Prize. His latest book is Arctic Summer.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa.Writers Write - Write to communicate