Happy Birthday, Conor McPherson, born 6 August 1971
- If I wasn't plagued by needing to write things, that would perhaps be a blessing.
- I'm living as an artist, and that's a staggering feeling, it's a total luxury. And because you have this amazing chance, with so much freedom, I'm determined to make something that is worth that. I feel this responsibility - to create something that makes an audience feel, which takes them somewhere. But that's very hard to achieve.
- We know so little of the why, what the universe is, what infinity is. The veil around us is very fragile.
- The young person isn't certain that love can be real; the middle-aged man is only discovering that it is; and the older person seems so sure of it. I was interested in the way that many of us go through the whole of our lives staying with someone just out of complacency, because leaving isn't easy.
- I just want the actors to put their faith in the language. Just let the words do the work.
McPherson is an Irish playwright and director.
~~~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate