Happy Birthday, Clive Cussler, born 15 July 1931
- I began writing evenings and weekends in 1967, so if you were to do the math you would come to the conclusion I have been writing roughly 40+ years.
- Study authors who write in your genre and who are successful; their writing style, structure, characterization, and plotting. It’s all there. You don’t need to go four years to school for a degree in writing. Ernest Hemingway studied and used the style of Tolstoy. Thomas Wolfe delved into James Joyce. I used Alistair MacLean when I started out, eventually moving into my own writing style which is now copied by other authors.
- When I first started writing, I was in advertising at the time, I was doing most of my writing on weekends. I had studied most of the other series heroes and I figured it would be fun for mine to be different and put him in and around water. So I dreamed up Dirk Pitt.
- She had the kids during the day and I would have them at night. That way they were never alone. I would put the kids to bed, and then I had nothing to do and nobody to talk to, so I would write.
- I attempt to write to entertain a universal audience.
Cussler is an American adventure novelist and marine archaeologist. He is the author of more than 50 novels, many featuring the character Dirk Pitt, which feature consistently on The New York Times fiction best-seller list,.
Source for Image
Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.