Happy Birthday, Christopher Ricks, born 18 September 1933
- I think the wish to disassociate from the cult of self is a good human impulse
- Geniuses are people who notice things and connections between things which others haven't noticed. Genius must be a surprise.
- A great work of art is one that continues to repay attention.
- It is characteristic of true simplicity that there may radiate from its utmost directness a good many glinting things.
- When a language creates - as it does - a community within the present, it does so only by courtesy of a community between the present and the past.
Sir Christopher Bruce Ricks is a British literary critic and scholar. He is the author of Dylan's Visions of Sin, Milton's Grand Style and Tennyson.
~~~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate