Happy Birthday, Carl Hiaasen, born 12 March 1953
10 Carl Hiaasen Quotes
- There is no writer’s block in a newsroom. There’s only unemployment block.
- All novels are about crime. You’d be hard pressed to find any novel that does not have an element of crime. I don’t see myself as a crime novelist, but there are crimes in my books. That’s the nature of storytelling, if you want to reflect the real world.
- Everybody’s idea of a great book is different, of course. For me it’s one that makes my jaw drop on every page, the writing is so original.
- In a place as wild as South Florida, true-life events are almost too big and too weird to be dealt with appropriately in a newspaper. The journalism feeds the imagination, which feeds the fiction. As for keeping a schedule, it’s pretty simple: Two days a week I write for The Miami Herald, and the rest of the time I’m working on novels or magazine articles. Or fishing.
- You can do the best research and be making the strongest intellectual argument, but if readers don’t get past the third paragraph you’ve wasted your energy and valuable ink.
- My humour has always come from anger, but I have to make sure I don’t just get angry and jump on a soapbox.
- I never laugh or smile when I am writing. When I come home for lunch after writing all morning, my wife says I look like I just came home from a funeral. This is not bragging. This is an illness.
- My books are character-driven. They’re not driven by the story.
- Lots of people can write a good first page but to sustain it, that’s my litmus test. If I flip to the middle of the book and there’s a piece of dialogue that’s just outstanding, or a description, then I’ll flip back to the first page and start it.
- The greatest sin for a writer is to be boring.
Hiaasen is an American author of 12 best-selling novels, including Star Island, Nature Girl, Tourist Season, Hoot, and Skinny Dip. He also writes a column, and is an investigative journalist, for The Miami Herald. He has three Pulitzer Prize-nominations for his non-fiction work.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.