Happy Birthday, Candy Gourlay, born 19 April 1962
- I think mythology enriches our perception of who we are. Think about any myth and it will reveal so much about the people who originated it – myths are all about life and death and taking the measure of where the power lies in our environment.
- People are always making assumptions about other people before they know who they are. If you met me on the street, for example, what assumptions would you make about me? Would you think I’m an author? Or someone’s cleaner? Does it matter?
- When I was growing up I wanted to be Jo March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – I wanted to write books and bring up a houseful of little boys.
- I have to say that my husband Richard is my inciting event. My life in the Philippines had a very clear trajectory until I met Richard. He took me out of my comfort zone and everything has been unexpected since.
- Books are mirrors and windows to the world – and it’s not a small world after all.
Gourlay is a Filipino author based in the United Kingdom. Her debut novel Tall Story won the National Children's Book Award of the Philippines in 2012 and the Crystal Kite Award for Europe in 2011.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.