Happy Birthday, Beverly Cleary, born 12 April 1916
- I didn’t start out writing to give children hope, but I’m glad some of them found it.
- I had a very wise mother. She always kept books that were my grade level in our house.
- One rainy Sunday when I was in the third grade, I picked up a book to look at the pictures and discovered that even though I did not want to, I was reading. I have been a reader ever since.
- I was a great reader of fairy tales. I tried to read the entire fairy tale section of the library.
- Quite often somebody will say, What year do your books take place? and the only answer I can give is, In childhood.
- I don’t necessarily start with the beginning of the book. I just start with the part of the story that’s most vivid in my imagination and work forward and backward from there.
- I was a very observant child. The boys in my books are based on boys in my neighbourhood growing up.
Cleary is an American author of books for young adults and children. She has sold 91 million copies worldwide. She won the 1981 National Book Award forRamona and Her Mother and the 1984 Newbery Medal for Dear Mr. Henshaw.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.