- Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.
- Blacks have traditionally had to operate in a situation where whites have set themselves up as the custodians of the black experience.
- Have a belief in yourself that is bigger than anyone’s disbelief.
- When I first started writing plays I couldn’t write good dialogue because I didn’t respect how black people talked. I thought that in order to make art out of their dialogue I had to change it, make it into something different. Once I learned to value and respect my characters, I could really hear them. I let them start talking.
- All art is political in the sense that it serves someone’s politics.
- A novelist writes a novel, and people read it. But reading is a solitary act. While it may elicit a varied and personal response, the communal nature of the audience is like having five hundred people read your novel and respond to it at the same time. I find that thrilling.
Wilson was an American playwright whose work included a series of ten plays, The Pittsburgh Cycle, for which he received two Pulitzer Prizes for Drama.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.