Happy Birthday, Anita Desai, born 24 June 1937
- When I was taught how to write and read at school, I made up my mind that this was what I love to do best and this was the world I was going to occupy.
- Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.
- Usually a feeling of disappointment follows the book, because what I hoped to write is not what I actually accomplished. However, it becomes a motivation to write the next book.
- Someone who wants to write should make an effort to write a little something every day. Writing in this sense is the same as athletes who practice a sport every day to keep their skills honed.
- I try to trace the connection between the characters and that way a story or plot emerges.
Desai is an Indian novelist who has been short-listed for the Booker Prize three times. She won the British Guardian Prize for The Village by the Sea. Desai now teaches at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.