Anaïs Nin was born 21 February 1903, and died 14 January 1977
Anaïs Nin: Top 15 Quotes
- I write emotional algebra.
- The day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- The final lesson a writer learns is that everything can nourish the writer. The dictionary, a new word, a voyage, an encounter, a talk on the street, a book, a phrase learned.
- Life shrinks or expands according to one’s courage.
- Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.
- Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.
- Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.
- We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- The role of the writer is not to say what we can all say, but what we are unable to say.
- How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.
- Creation which cannot express itself becomes madness.
- People living deeply have no fear of death.
- I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live. I could not live in any of the worlds offered to me — the world of my parents, the world of war, the world of politics. I had to create a world of my own, like a climate, a country, an atmosphere in which I could breathe, reign, and recreate myself when destroyed by living. That, I believe, is the reason for every work of art.
- We don’t have a language for the senses. Feelings are images, sensations are like musical sounds.
- The only abnormality is the incapacity to love.
Anaïs Nin was a French-Cuban author, based at first in France and later in the United States. The novelist and short story writer gained international fame with her journals. She is well-known for her relationship with Henry Miller, and his wife, June. Much of her work, including Delta of Venus and Little Birds, was published after she died.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.