Allen Tate was born 19 November 189, and died 9 February 1979
- Men expect too much, do too little.
- The mission for the day is to encourage students to think beyond traditional career opportunities, prepare for future careers and entrance into the workplace.
- There is probably nothing wrong with art for art’s sake if we take the phrase seriously, and not take it to mean the kind of poetry written in England forty years ago.
- Experience means conflict, our natures being what they are, and conflict means drama.
- In a manner of speaking, the poem is its own knower, neither poet nor reader knowing anything that the poem says apart from the words of the poem.
- Poets, in their way, are practical men; they are interested in results.
- Serious poetry deals with the fundamental conflicts that cannot be logically resolved: we can state the conflicts rationally, but reason does not relieve us of them.
- Dramatic experience is not logical.
- The poet is he who fights on the passionate side and whoever loses he wins; when he Is defeated it is hard to say who wins
Tate was an American poet, essayist, and social commentator. He was Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress from 1943 to 1944.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate