Adrienne Rich was born 16 May 1929, and died 27 March 2012
- To write as if your life depended on it; to write across the chalkboard, putting up there in public the words you have dredged; sieved up in dreams, from behind screen memories, out of silence— words you have dreaded and needed in order to know you exist.
- The password is a flicker of an eyelash.
- Poems are like dreams: in them you put what you don’t know you know.
- There must be those among whom we can sit down and weep and still be counted as warriors.
- Lying is done with words, and also with silence.
- Responsibility to yourself means refusing to let others do your thinking, talking, and naming for you; it means learning to respect and use your own brains and instincts; hence, grappling with hard work.
- You must write, and read, as if your life depended on it.
- When a woman tells the truth she is creating the possibility for more truth around her.
- Poetry is the liquid voice that can wear through stone.
Rich was an American poet, essayist and feminist.
Source for Image
~~~Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.