- Poetry at its best is the language your soul would speak if you could teach your soul to speak.
- Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy... or they become legend.
- I can write anywhere.
- I wonder, when a writer's blocked and doesn't have any resources to pull himself out of it, why doesn't he jump in his car and drive around the U.S.A.? I went last winter for seven thousand miles and it was lovely. Inexpensive, too.
- The danger of civilisation, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense.
- I have closely noted that people who watch a great deal of TV never again seem able to adjust to the actual pace of life. The speed of the passing images becomes the speed the aspire to and they seem to develop an impatience and boredom with anything else.
- Being a writer requires an intoxication with language.
- I like grit, I like love and death, I'm tired of irony. ... A lot of good fiction is sentimental. ... The novelist who refuses sentiment refuses the full spectrum of human behaviour, and then he just dries up.
- The only advice I can give to aspiring writers is don't do it unless you're willing to give your whole life to it.
- The wilderness does not make you forget your normal life so much as it removes the distractions for proper remembering.
- The answer is always in the entire story, not a piece of it.
- Writers can write outside their ethnicity or sex depending how open and vulnerable they wish to be.
Harrison was an American author known for his poetry, fiction, reviews, essays about the outdoors, and writings about food. He is best known for his 1979 novella Legends of the Fall.
Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.